What can we say, we’re just fascinated about teeth at Nixa Smiles!
To brighten up your Monday, here are some fun facts about teeth that you may not know!
- Enamel is the hardest part of the human body
- We produce 100,000 gallons of saliva in a lifetime. Saliva helps wash the food and drink off your teeth.
- Your teeth are as unique as your fingerprints. Can you say, one of a kind??
- 50% of people say a SMILE is the first thing they notice about someone new
- Your teeth have started to develop before you were born
- Adults have 32 teeth, Dogs have 42 teeth, Cats have 30 teeth, Mosquitos have 47 teeth
- The average person spends 38 days brushing their teeth over their lifetime
- A tooth cannot repair itself like your skin can
- It takes 47 muscles to frown and only 17 to smile
- Tooth decay is the 2nd most common disease in the U.S. after the common cold. https://medlineplus.gov/ency/article/001055.htm
Bonus Fact: Some people genetically have missing teeth and some have a few extra teeth! How about those fun facts about teeth?
Want more fun facts about teeth?
But wait a minute, we aren’t the only ones with teeth. Animals have fascinating teeth too!
- Crocodiles don’t clean their teeth. Small, Egyptian Plover, birds pick the leftovers off of their teeth while the crocodile’s mouth is open.
- George Washington had denture teeth made out of hippopotamus teeth. They did this because hippo teeth don’t yellow over time. Denture teeth today are made out of porcelain or resin.
- Some rodent teeth never stop growing. They chew on fibrous roots and twigs that wear the teeth down over time.
- Sharks replace their teeth quite frequently. This keeps their teeth extra sharp.
- The longest teeth in the world are elephant teeth aka tusks.
- Dogs and cats are prone to dental decay too. They benefit from regular cleanings just like us.